Saturday, June 18, 2011

Stepping Out of My Comfort Zone

Have you ever paused to think about how repetitive, or typical your life has become? This is a thought that has been hovering in my mind for a while. What bothers me more is how comfortable I am with the constant repetition of my daily routine. 

I read somewhere that we are so conditioned to automatically running patterns, that coming up with new ideas and approaches to things may be too much effort to even bother. It's easier to stick with what we comfortable with, then actually make a conscious effort to "interrupt" those patterns.

I realize that too often I eat the same foods, have the same conversations or find myself hanging out at the same local venues. Don't get me wrong. I love the faces I am so fortunate to see everyday and the amazing opportunities this city and country offer, but there is a tiny part of me screaming for new challenges and expectations. I know Seoul will provide just that.

The moment I say goodbye to my loved ones at YVR and walk onto that +15 hour flight, is the moment I'm all on my own, regardless if I then realize I really want to be or not. I am excited, happy but also scared. I can't help but constantly wonder how I will feel in Korea. Will I love it, hate it? Did I just commit myself into 4 months of loneliness and regret or will it be the best experience of me life?

Ultimately, I hope my experience in Korea and travelling to neighbouring countries will really help me appreciate my life in Vancouver. Too often I think I take it for granted. But most of all I hope it will help me look at the world with a new perspective and passion for life.


xoxo,


Michelle
Kimchi

3 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle,

    I stumbled upon your Twitter today, which is how I found your blog. I just wanted to tell you I think it's so wonderful and courageous of you to study abroad in Korea. It's going to be a life changing experience. I hope you find everything you're looking for.

    XOXO,
    Lily

    www.bleedforfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha you said 3 posts.... but you never mentioned how long they were =P

    Wow. but I must say I am quite impressed!! Enjoyed reading each and every post! I am sooooo excited for you!! I wish I finished my exchange application --- I know it would of been the experience of my life.

    Enjoy every moment of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, that sounds so exciting!
    I hope you have a wonderful time, and gain new perspectives on life in general.

    As much as I love routine and the familiar, I would LOVE to take off to another country for a while. It's amazing what you can learn and how much it changes you.

    Best of luck,

    B

    ReplyDelete