Friday, June 17, 2011

Why Yonsei University?



The prospect of earning a spot in SFU's international exchange program can be very exciting yet daunting at times. The most challenging part for me was having to decide which university to attend--although coordinating and submitting all the required documents was quite the pain as well.

I knew I would be attending one of the SKY universities. For those of you who don't know, SKY refers to Korea's top universities: Seoul National University, Korea University and Yonsei University. Ultimately, I chose Yonsei University because of its internationalized academics, dynamic social life and close proximity to Seoul's entertainment districts.

Yonsei University offers an intensive Morning Korean Language Course where I will have the opportunity to study Korean from Monday-Friday, 4-hours a day for 10 weeks. There is no way I will come back less than fluent in Korean after this course.  In addition, Yonsei University offers a multitude of courses taught in English that I can transfer back to SFU. These courses are open to local and exchange students.

I am confident that I will build amazing, life-long networks because local and exchange students are encouraged to interact with one another via courses, student clubs, outings and buddy programs. As I tend to get homesick easily, it is essential for me to make solid friendships to share the Korean experience with.

With my new friends I will be able to experience contemporary Korean culture by visiting Seoul's entertainment districts. Yonsei's students have no trouble visiting Seoul's entertainment district because Yonsei University is situated in the heart of Seoul which is Shinchon, Hongdae and Edae. These three areas are filled with restaurants, shopping, clubs, lounges, spas you name it!

Talking about it makes me excited and I can't wait to experience it all but not without a student visa.  Next week I will be applying for a student visa and a traveling visa that will allow me into neighbouring countries.

xoxo,

Michelle
Kimchi

No comments:

Post a Comment